Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Add Penn State to my resume.....


Today's Miles: 3x1600m with 800m recoveries

I realized a long time ago that I like to learn. There is just so much information out there that intrigues me and I want to absorb it. Unfortunately, my absorption capacity is limited by 1) the length of time my butt can sit in one place and 2) the physical amount of space I have available in my brain.

#1 is obvious…If I’ve been sitting so long that my butt aches, I will NOT be paying attention to your presentation. I don’t care how interesting you are.

As for #2…I often imagine my brain is like a filing cabinet. Each file has a piece of information that I can retrieve at a later time if needed. But at some point, my filing cabinet gets stuffed full and in order to file another piece of information, I have to throw out (a.k.a. forget) a file to make room for more.

I’m certain this is true because there are things that at one time I....just.....knew and now, I cannot remember. It’s just gone. When I look it up, it seems like new information to me all over again. So that file got trashed somewhere along life’s way. And let’s face it….my filing cabinets are stuffed to the rim because I went to college and grad school for 7...long... years.

Unfortunately, it seems that the new files (new pieces of information) are just useless pieces of knowledge. These new files may be interesting, cute, funny, entertaining, or just one of those “Hmmm” things. But they aren’t going to help me when a customer asks me about the description, cause and treatment of Arcanobacterium pyogenes mastitis. And I JUST KNEW that 5 years ago! Sadly now, my tidbits of knowledge don’t come close to that level anymore.

With that being said….I can’t help but pick up new pieces of info! They’re so new and shiny!!

I’m in State College, PA for a few days, and this is what Penn State has taught me…

#1 - The Facility Planning people at PSU have a wicked sense of humor…

I had the pleasure of completing my track workout at the beautiful Nittany Lion track. The track is DIRECTLY across the street from the university’s hog farm. So what? I’ll tell you SO WHAT! Go to your nearest hog farm and take a REALLY deep breath. Then continue to breathe heavily for an hour! Pig smell stains your nostrils....and your tastebuds. I’m still smelling pig and worse things – and yes, I took a shower & brushed my teeth. Also, now I have this hilarious (at least to me) mental image of the hogs escaping to the track and running some races!! 

Now these ladies don't look like REAL RUNNERS...
 #2 - Barefoot old men can run really fast.....

Yes…BAREFOOTOLD…and slightly overweight men can apparently outrun me. I’m so ashamed. I think I’ve lost my Real Runner status. 

#3 - Self Spray Tan at night plus a large volume of sweat in the morning is not a good combo....

I literally look like my skin is melting off of me. I have runs on my legs like I over-painted a wall! Luckily, I took a towel to wipe my face between sets. So my face isn’t runny looking. But my sweat towel (a.k.a. a white hand towel from the hotel) looks like I stopped by the farm and bathed a couple of pigs with it! 

#4 - Though it may sound funny to hear a story about an Army recruiter making ROTC cadets run until they puke……..it’s not so funny in person...... 

(Please see previous blog regarding my adversion to vomit.) They really should talk to those kids about appropriate breakfast choices before working out

#5 - Running at the butt-crack of dawn has its advantages.....

The Butt-Crack of Dawn is defined as that few minutes before day actually breaks. It's not really light yet. It's that time when you think - "WTH?? It's not even light outside and I'm up and out the door!!???" It's not a 'pretty' moment in time. It's the butt's crack - not really pretty, but necessary for function.


1) it is really quiet and peaceful. It’s only you, your thoughts & the pounding of your feet (that is, until the Army shows up) and 2) you get to see the sunrise from the beginning of first light through the end…..one word….BEAUTIFUL....(moment in time not captured because I was in the middle of a 1600m repeat!)

#6 - Running at 60°F and 20% humidity is SOOOO much easier and enjoyable than 72°F and 70% humidity.....

Yeah…..I knew this at one point. However, this summer it has been 70-80°F at the butt-crack of dawn which has caused that valuable piece of knowledge to melt from my brain. 

#7 - Chick-fil-A Mini Breakfast Chicks are N.A.S.T.Y.!!!! ...

I was expecting a chicken nugget (it was) wrapped in a miniature biscuit (it WAS NOT). These good little chickies were semi-stuffed (mostly semi) into a Mrs. Schubert’s yeast roll and soaked in some type of sticky, gooey NASTY glaze. What the H*%$!?? 

#8 - I LOVE little town diners that serve homemade pumpkin pie year round!!!!


Gotta run.....

No comments:

Post a Comment