Today's Miles: 4 miles (3 at tempo pace) and 100 of 300 ab exercises (wholly shit those are hard).
So if you've read the above statement and have seen my FB posts over the last couple of days, you know I'm trying out this "300 ab exercises" that are supposedly ripped off of p90x.
I didn't think I had ab muscles in these places that are still sore from 2 days ago. I only got 100 in this morning because I hadn't written down all of the exercises and was trying to follow it on my computer. And it crashed. Oh Thank God.
But it's up and running again obviously, which means I'll have to complete the other 200 before night ends. Please Pray For Me.
So why all of this exercising you wonder? Well, the running part.....Duh. You're reading a 'running' blog.
The abs? Just to get more well roundedly fit (Is that a word?).
AND......in case you didn't know....July is National Ice Cream Month. And TODAY is National Ice Cream Day!!
You should celebrate......A.LOT.
I have been.
I started at 9:30 this morning.
A few weeks back my church had an ice cream social on a very hot day, and since I didn't have an ice cream maker at the time, I had to remedy that situation so that I could make some ice cream. So I bought an ice cream maker at JacquePennea that has a drum you freeze, rather than deal with all of the ice and salt.
Uh.Oh. Big.Mistake. Make it even easier to make the one dessert I can't get enough of! Just leave the drum in the freezer and you're ready to make ice cream any time!!! Day or night!!! Or in the middle of the night!!!
I've been more inclined to make gelato's rather than ice cream. The difference: using whole milk, eggs and less sugar versus heavy cream, half&half and lots of sugar. Gelato freezes very creamy, not so much icy like most homemade ice creams.
So far I've made
- Banana Gelato = if you're a banana fan, it's like a banana bread in ice cream form....Heaven!
- Dark Chocolate Azteca Gelato = sweet and spicy....It.Will.Change.Your.Life.Forever. I've made this a couple of times.
- Salted Caramel Cashew Gelato = inspired by a customer's ice cream parlor's famous flavor...now it's Mark's all time favorite!!
Dark Chocolate Azteca Gelato
(stolen & adapted from some Italian person's recipe - Giulianohazan.com)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 C (I substituted 2/3 C with 5Tbs+1tsp of Splenda Blend)
- 2 Tbs sugar (separate)
- 2 C whole milk
- 1 1/2 oz of semi sweet chocolate
- 2 oz of dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 oz of high quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch or two or three of cayenne pepper
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. In separate pan, heat the milk until it just begins to boil
- Use an electric mixer to whip the egg yolks and 2/3 C of sugar (or substitute) until they form creamy pale yellow ribbons.
- Add the hot milk SLOWLY to the whipped eggs and sugar while mixing with the electric mixer.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix it in well. Add the cocoa and mix again.
- Add the cinnamon and cayenne. Mix well. (You may want to add a small amount at a time and taste before adding more! I like 3 pinches of cayenne!!)
- Put the remaining 2Tbs of sugar and 2tsp of water in a small pan over High heat.
- Transfer the chocolate mix to a saucepan and place it over low heat and stir constantly with a whisk.
- When the sugar in the pan has turned to a dark caramel, add the caramel to the chocolate mix and mix it in thoroughly with the whisk until it dissolves. Keep on low heat and keep stirring for about 8 minutes.
- Cool mix completely (about an hour in the refrigerator).
- Follow ice cream maker instructions to make fabulous gelato!!
Salted Caramel Cashew Gelato
(stolen & adapted from Instructables.com)
- 1/2 C sugar (do not substitute - you need real sugar for this one!)
- 1 Tbs water
- 2 C whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher or ground sea salt
- 1/3 C crushed cashews (or more if you like it nuttier)
- Combine 1/2 C sugar and 1 Tbs water in a medium non-stick saucepan. Swirl sugar & water until just combined. Turn the heat on High, and allow to bubble and turn golden brown. If it goes to dark brown, you over cooked it.
- When the caramel turns golden, add 2 C milk and whisk. At first the caramel hardens, but will melt into the milk as it heats. Constant whisking keeps the caramel from burning.
- Add the vanilla extract & salt. Whisk again until combined. Remove from heat.
- Separate the egg yolks and beat until light yellow.
- Add the hot caramel mix to the eggs very SLOWLY while whisking swiftly.
- Return the mix to the sauce pan and turn heat to low. (I have to turn to medium on my stove.)
- Place a candy thermometer into the saucepan. The thermometer will read slightly higher than the actual temperature. Do not allow the mix to go above 179 F.
- Stir CONSTANTLY, until thick. About 12 minutes. When you can draw a line across the back of the spatula, it's done.
- Cool mix completely in the refrigerator.About 2 hours.
- Follow ice cream maker instructions to make gelato. Add cashews during the last 3-5 minutes of ice cream making!
Enjoy!!!! And make sure you eat a ton of Ice Cream today!! And all month!!!
Gotta run....and do some crunches.